MY BLOG

Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Color Candle Burns the Fastest?





My topic was about burning candles. I wanted to find out what color candle would burn the fastest. My hypothesis stated that, if I burned five candles, one red, one white, one orange, one pink, and one blue, then the white one would burn the fastest. Why did I choose this as my experiment? Well I love to burn candles and wanted to know what colors to buy so that they would last longer.


Materials

The materials that I used were a , green marker, candles, and matches.



The variables that were kept the same were the candle’s brand, when we started to burn them, the length and width of the candle, room temperature, and distance between the candles. The only thing that was different was that the candles were different colors. To carry out my project I first set up the candles four inches apart. Then I marked a line half inch down form the wick on each candle. Then I lit them all at once. Next, I started timing how long it took each to burn. I stopped timing when the mark on each candle was gone. Finally, I recorded my data.



Each candle was spreaded apart and lit at the same time.

As you can tell the bright colored ones burnt the fastest. The light pink and the white was the slowest ones to burn.






For My Experiment Results Click HERE

5 comments:

  1. I love buying candles too, so it's great to know which color candle will burn longer. Students will have fun making predictions about the end result. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very helpful info. I love candles too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! That is very interesting I had never really thought about the color of candles effecting how long they burn. I think this is a great activity to do with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love candles and I burn them all the time. Thanks for the info. I will by the light colored candles from now on so that they will last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome because it can help people save money when buying candles! I think students would find this very interesting!

    ReplyDelete